27 September 2008

phone

You always showed me how to be bold. You always made it okay for me to explore. You made it important for me to laugh. You always encouraged my art, and anything else I did. You saw how important that stuff was to me. I do. You always supported me. You're one of my best friends.

"Meriam hey."
"Hey Sherief. How are you?"
"I'm good I'm good. How are you?"
"I'm well."
"Yeah how was your weekend?"
"Good."
"Listen Meriam can I call you back? I have some friends over." I can feel skin around my eyes wrinkle, where my smile makes them.
"Too popular for your own good already huh?" We laugh.
"No no" I can hear it in your voice that you want to make sure I'm not feeling hurt, and that I didn't feel neglected.
"Ok I'll talk to you later."
"Bye."

I've never been so happy for you than after that phone call. Out in the world, exploring what you love, making the very best of everything that you can. And being happy all the while.

I'm really just so happy for you. And I deeply hope you're okay. Not happy, but okay, meaning I hope you're finding something, and I hope if you're not happy, that you'll get yourself there.

I miss you, but I know you're still ours. And I am glad you're doing what you are. You saw an opportunity, and you took it. You showed us all it's okay to be a tiny bit selfish in your youth, if you think it will benefit you in the long run. There are certain things that don't come around twice.

I hope your new job is fulfilling.
I hope you find a path. No. I hope you make a path.

"No one should ever feel bad doing what they think is best for them." That's what you taught me.