18 October 2008

realization

In the time that my brothers have been away at college, I've sometimes been overwhelmed with a feeling that I am stagnant and that all others are moving---only to find out that that is not at all the case. Here's the thing though:

I'm sitting on my bed, working on my college applications when it hits me. In a matter of months, I will have to put down my laptop, get up, and go to another bed, in another state. I knew that my moving out would be hard on my parents and on my friends. Having been tirelessly thinking of ways to cheer them up (I have a couple cool ideas), I never thought about the fact that they wouldn't live with me, only about the reverse. Hearing my dad's laughter in the next room or driving to my best friend's house so we can just talk and look at the stars won't be things I can do for the bigger part of the year.

As excited as I am about where I'm applying and what I'll learn and do when I get there, there are times when the scaredy cat part of my alter-ego kicks in. And I get lost in the fact that it really is happening.

I guess I just need to focus on the positive side--which is huge, and covered with college students.