23 September 2008

rolled up sleeves

My publishing teacher is so incredibly enthusiastic about what he does. It's really beautiful. He loves everything about print; he is always carrying at least one sharpie. Even for the people who aren't that into what he's teaching, they can't help but pay attention because of the sheer joy the process gives him. It really is inspiring to see a man that awed with something, willing to dedicate his life to it, with little regard for monetary gains. He talks loudly, his chuckle--goofy and unforgettable. Down to the very detail, he loves it---all of it. Even rolling up sleeves versus folding them up is down to a science, carefully advising us to fold them patiently so they don't slide down while we work. Patience is very important here.

"I love the smell of ink in the morning. Smells like victory." His smile, infectious.

If I can get by money-wise, and I can be successful in that I study and pursue my dreams, there can't be any room for regret. It might be a little more scary, but I'll only work hard for what I love---nothing else.